SUMMARY: I am a Senior Level Network Engineer with over 18 years in the computer network industry. I have over 12 years with Novell NetWare, 10 years Windows NT/2003, 10 years Linux/UNIX, Routers, infrastructure, network management, project management and have worked both as part of a team and managing one.
Red Hat Certified Technician (RHCT) 2005
Certified Novell Engineer (CNE) May 1993.
Hewlett Packard Network Professional in LAN/WAN Routing and Managed Workgroup (CZ) 1994.
Former President, LAN Enthusiasts of Hudson Valley. Network users group affiliated with NetWare Users International (NUI).
OPERATING SYSTEMS: MS-DOS 6.2 and below, Windows 3.x, 95/98/XP, Windows NT 3.5x - 4.0, Windows Server 2000/2003, MS Terminal Server, NetWare 2.1x-6.xx, NetWare SFT III, SCO UNIX, UnixWare, Linux (Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, various distributions), Solaris.
SOFTWARE: MS Word, WordPerfect, PC Write, Excel, Lotus 123, Organizer, Access, dBase III, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, ProComm Plus, PC Anywhere, Rumba, Hummingbird Exceed, Act!, Action Plus, Maximizer, PageMaker, Norton Utilities, Wildcat Webserver/BBS, FrontDoor and others.
HARDWARE: IBM PC 8088 – Pentium/64, Sun SPARC, Voice Cards, I/O cards, PCMCIA cards, Printers, Modems, Tape Drives, SCSI Adapters, Sound cards, CD-ROM, RAID, Optical Drives and others.
NETWORK HARDWARE: Network Interface Cards, Bridges, (Wellfleet, Bay Networks, HP, Cisco, etc.) Routers, Hubs, Ethernet Switches, Wireless Ethernet (802.11), Token Ring Mau’s, FDDI Interfaces, Multiport Serial cards, Multi-Protocol Print Servers (HP Jet Direct, Intel NetPort, Tektronix, Xerox Fiery), Remote Access Servers, RAID Disk Arrays, NAS Storage servers, CD-ROM Servers, ISDN Terminal Adapters, Network General Sniffer, DSU/CSU and others.
NETWORK SOFTWARE: Veritas Storage Foundation, Volume Manager, Backup Exec, cc:Mail, DaVinci E-Mail, MHS, Novell NACS, NetWare Connect, Flex/IP, Legato Networker, ArcServe, IBM ADSM, Novell NMS/Managewise, HP Openview, Optivity, Site Manager, Novell Application Launcher/ZEN Works, Wise, MS SMS, Norton Administrator for Networks, Apache, Squid, APC PowerChute, LAN Workplace, FTP’s PC/TCP, Netmanage Chameleon, LanDesk, Citrix Metaframe/Winframe, WinInstall and others.
* Installed & Upgraded NetWare servers using vers. 2.1x, 2.20, 3.1x, 4.xx, 5.xx, 6.xx.
* Installed & Upgraded Windows Server & Workstation vers. 3.5x, 4.0, 2000, 2003.
* Designed complete NetWare Directory Services (NDS) & Active Directory (AD) trees for corporate networks.
* Migrated complete NetWare Servers to Windows NT.
* Designed complete Wide Area Network infrastructures.
* Relocated 300-user business group to new location w/o interrupting daily business.
* Planned, assigned and structured TCP/IP addressing, subnetting for global corporate networks.
* Installed and configured hubs, routers, switches and complete WAN infrastructures.
* Managed Scheduling, Coordination, Budgets & administration of large projects.
* Evaluated and Approved selection of hardware & software in projects.
* Installed Windows & UNIX workstations on Novell, Windows NT & UNIX networks.
* Diagnosed and Troubleshoot hardware, software and network problems.
* Performed remote management & maintenance of networks.
* Created user environments with custom menus and Login scripts.
* Developed Software distribution procedures and created application packages.
* Created corporate help desks with support and escalation procedures.
* Created and Taught custom courseware for LAN Administrators at banking institutions.
* Taught Novell CNE, TCP/IP, UNIX and network classes.
* Trained and instructed users in using networked environment.
* Created and implemented disaster recovery plans for Corporate Networks.
* Performed Security analysis of corporate networks. Authored security policy & procedures.
* Installed and Supported tape/optical storage backup systems for NetWare/UNIX networks.
* Designed & Implemented Disk to Disk to Tape Storage Area Networks.
* Designed and installed E-Mail Systems, Servers and gateways.
* Installed cc:Mail system, Router & SMTP Gateway covering 30 offices and 1750 users.
* Setup print and file gateways between UNIX, Windows and NetWare.
* Installed and configured SCO UNIX/Linux on Intel PC's as Application and/or Internet Servers.
* Installed and configured Sun Solaris on SPARCstations.
* Installed TCP/IP Client software on workstations.
* Setup Hosts on Internet with exchange of UNIX (SMTP) mail and anonymous FTP.
* Setup Internet Web servers, creating web pages using HTML and Java scripting.
11/01-10/06 Various Independent Projects, New York, NY/Charlotte, NC
Worked on various consulting projects including: Windows NT/2000/2003 & Novell server upgrades, network analysis and standardized desktop configurations. Relocated 200 Users from New York to Charlotte. Upgraded (7) servers & (120) desktops from Windows based to Linux. Planned & Implemented (SAN & NAS) Storage Area Networks.
1/98-11/01 Chase Manhattan Bank/JP Morgan Chase, New York, New York
Engineering/App Integration department: Developed application integration packages and software distribution/deployment procedures. Assisted in distribution to servers providing documentation on procedures. Provided 3rd level support for NetWare and Windows NT/2000 servers and applications. Managed and provided team leadership on individual projects. Worked as part of group developing standard network model including NDS tree & NT Domain design. Provided network administration of servers used in department including backups, user accounts & login scripts. Performed testing and standardization of ODBC applications and database clients. Supervised (3 months) sub-contract group of 45 to bring them into Chase procedures and technology.
Restack/Model Deployment department: Handled technical aspects (including planning & deployments) and requirements/logistics of relocation of independent departments including servers, workstations, infrastructure, connectivity, market data feeds, applications, account administration and Disaster Recovery contingencies. Worked within budget constraints, Fed regulations and project deadlines. Provided initial support after relocations and authored documentation on completed project that was delivered to help desk.
10/97-12/97 Dannon, Tarrytown, New York
Analyzed Network systems, infrastructure and workstations. Recommended changes for increase of performance and manageability. Created project plan for update of network (NetWare, Windows NT & Citrix) servers and workstations. Provided 3rd level support for E-mail, servers and Citrix.
11/96-9/97 Unilever/Lever Brothers Company, New York, New York
Supported and installed NetWare 4.1x and Windows NT servers. Planned and migrated servers and workstations to Fast Ethernet and Ethernet switches. Facilitated move to new routers and routing environment. Planned, managed and installed backup systems covering 25 offices. Created disaster recovery procedures for wide area network. Provided consultation and support for project plans involving global NDS, cc:Mail, NT workstation and server rollouts with staff of 5. Level 3 Support for workstations, servers and infrastructure.
8/96-11/96 Westcon, Inc., Eastchester, New York
Title: Technical Support Manager/Contract
Created, Managed and scheduled new technical support department and staff of 14. Established departmental budget. Provided Level 3 support to Resellers on routers, hubs, switches, FRADs, remote access servers and other networking products. Created network configurations/designs based on performance, existing infrastructure. Established and composed technical training curriculum for staff of technical support, customer service, internal network support and integration departments. Provided technical supervision to integration department.
1/96-6/96 Philip Morris International, Rye Brook, New York
Supported, upgraded and performed tuning on all NetWare 4.1 & 4.1 SFT III servers at corporate headquarters. Installed Windows NT servers. Supported network infrastructure and routers including management software. Authored new policies for disaster recovery, security and drafted project plan for Internet connectivity. Provided Level 3 support for desktops.
12/94-1/96: CIC Systems, Copley Division, White Plains, New York
Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Functioned as a staff systems engineer responsible for clients from small businesses to Fortune 500. Duties included pre-sales, project coordination and hands-on installation and implementation of medium to large scale network systems (NetWare, UNIX, Windows NT, routers, etc.) and components.
1987-1994: ParaComp Business Services, New York, New York
Title: Manager of Systems Engineers
Managed staff of 12 system engineers. Created and oversaw department budget. Managed projects from pre-sales, writing proposals through coordination, actual hands-on implementation to documentation at completion for variety of Fortune 500 clients. Projects ranged from desktop configurations and initial network installations to complete network design, enhancements/expansion of wide area networks and infrastructure.